Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Labonte To Drive In Daytona 500

Phoenix Racing announced today that Bobby Labonte will drive a second car for the team in the Daytona 500 on February 23. The move reunites the 2000 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion with Phoenix Racing chairman emeritus, James Finch, for who he drove in 13 races in 2010 and one race in 2013.

Harry Scott, Jr., who purchased the team from Finch in 2013, said, "James continues to be a valuable part of our team and when he came up with the idea of running Bobby in a second car, I jumped at the opportunity to bring him back into the fold. Bobby is a veteran driver that can also provide valuable insight and leadership for Phoenix Racing."

"I'm thrilled to be headed back to Daytona with Bobby Labonte," said Finch. "I thank Harry Scott for this opportunity. He knew I would have to be weaned off racing. I can't quit cold turkey."

"I am grateful and excited to return to Daytona with Phoenix Racing," said Labonte. "The Daytona 500 is obviously a special event for everyone involved in the sport. I can't wait to get back in the car for my 22nd Daytona 500."

Labonte, who will run a number of races for Phoenix Racing this season, has won 21 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races in a career that began in 1991, along with 115 Top-5 and 203 Top-10 finishes. The team will provide additional information in the coming weeks about a planned car number, crew chief and sponsors.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment